Thursday, September 29, 2011

Back on the shelves.......

I feel like I've returned from a far away place: the land of no books!  After several months of pushing myself to open files and covers, finally I have left the shores of that odd place and returned home.  I hope.  This week I had to try, and so I read the book for my reading group because I think I let down the others if I don't at least make an attempt.  The book wasn't something I was itching to read (what an odd expression - makes me think of fleas and I don't equate them with reading at all), but having been assured it was a quick read, I began.

Indeed it was fast: 2 hours later and the book was done.  It was The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul by Deborah Rodriguez.  The link takes you to a small review on the Random House website.  I don't know that I agree with the reviewer who wrote that it gave them an insight into life in Kabul but perhaps it does.  Kabul doesn't seem as dangerous in these pages as in other reports, but since I am reading all from the comfort of my armchair in the wilds of Melbourne, what do I know?

Having safely left the shores of the Great Bookless Desert, I turned to my enormous waiting pile of treasures (never mind the electronic ones) and began The Paris Wife by Paula  McLain.  Finding myself wide awake this morning at 5.30am (now that's another strange story) and unable to drift back to sleep, I finished it in a flash and I think I'm still somewhere in Europe.  Review to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I'd like to read your thoughts.....